Friday 16 March 2007

London's Burning...


Is it just me, or are Londoners the grumpiest so and sos I ever met? I am really stressed out with my last final months of studying (or lack thereof), I am consistently let down by my temping agency (again today), bills are coming and money is tight. Compared to previous years I have more balls to juggle, but it's ok. Having left the firm my agency sent me to (by mistake), feeling a bit pissed off, I changed my mind and decided I was happy to walk around enjoying the sunshine (daydreaming of the day I have less worries), passing the stoney faced suits, before going back to do something productive.

Apart from the psychology of it, in this society we have much more freedom than others do to change our lives if we aren't happy - that's what I did (although I'm paying for it). It breaks my heart to read stories like this one of child suicides in England. I find it devastating to think that society has sunk so low, our vulnerable children are suffering. If I ever have money and therefore more free time, I'd like to think a few peoples' lives would improve.

Although I never liked living in Northern Ireland, when I was perplexed about something trivial or not, it always made me smile to hear a cheeky passerby dare to comment in that thick Belfast accent 'Crack aw smayle, gainger' or 'Is it al that bad, gainger?'. Londoners need to get over themselves and think about the wider picture. Life will never be good unless you make it; and I don't mean money either.

No comments: